Saturday, August 13, 2011

Homemade liquid laundry soap

From: Andrea...
4 c. hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 cup Arm & Hammer super washing soda
½ c. 20-Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster
Grate bar of soap and add to water in saucepan.  Stir constantly over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
Fill a five-gallon bucket half full of VERY hot tap water.  Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax.  Stir well until all powder is dissolved.  Fill bucket to top with more hot water.  Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.  You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per two gallons, once soap has cooled.
Use 5/8 cup per load for top loading washing machine.  ¼-1/2 cup for front loading or high efficiency.  It cleans great, is nice for those with sensitive skin, and you can make five gallons for about $2.00.
*I use about 2/3 cup for my he washer.  You can get all of these items at Macey's grocery store. I can not say that this is "safe" for he washers however I have not seen problems in my he washer....use at your own discretion.

2 comments:

  1. OK, but is it cheaper than regular, and does it clean better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is much cheaper, like $2.00 for a 5 gallon bucket of laundry soap. I feel like it cleans just fine, I have been keeping my eye on the laundry since I made the switch and feel like it does a good job. The total cost for all the ingredients was $10.00 at Macey's but I will be able to make many batches with the ingredients:)

    ReplyDelete